Tuesday 7 May 2013

Cottage Pie...

Home Comforts...

This is a cottage pie with a twist, I make it with a tomato base instead of a traditional gravy one. It's  a relatively simple recipe and is great for those who miss their mum's cooking! You can make it as healthy as you like using lean beef, it can be made vegetarian with the use of Quorn mince instead of meat. (I always use Quorn mince if I'm cutting down on calories and fat!). Another great thing about this recipe is that you can throw whatever you want into it so don't feel that you absolutely have to stick to what I put in mine!

  • A jar of Tomato sauce (I used a tomato and chili one!) 
  • 1 Onion- chopped
  • 2 Garlic Cloves - Crushed
  • 3-4 Mushrooms
  • 1 Packet of Mince Beef
  • 1 Handful of Frozen Peas
  • 3 Potatoes-  Peeled and Cubed
  •  





  • Fry off the onions, garlic and mushrooms until softened and golden.
  •  Add the mince until browned, add a splash of Wooster source.
  • Pour in the sauce and add peas. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
  • Meanwhile boil the potatoes for around 20 minutes.
  • Once soft through mash and add milk slowly until it becomes fluffy.
  • Pour the meat mixture into an oven dish, layer the mash potato over the top and place in oven for around 20 minutes until the mash goes crispy and golden on top.
  • Serve with veg.
     



You can add cheese into the mash for extra flavour if desired. I like to have a bit of a kick to my cottage pie with is why I wanted to try the tomato and chilli sauce that I used. While the cottage pie had a lot of flavour, it wasn't spicy in the slightest so I don't think I would use the same flavour in the Grossman brand again. I think I'll start a quest to find a well balanced combo jar!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go oooooon tell me what you think :)