Monday 24 February 2014

Homemade Corned Beef Pie...

Easy Peasy Pie...

I fancied having a go at this after a friend mentioned he wanted his mum to make him one. My Nan makes it quite often so I knew the basic ingredients and thought I'd give it a crack. However, it should be noted that I didn't make it at my Nan's house and had to refer to Paul Hollywood's 'Pies and Puds' for techniques and timings. I also didn't make my own pastry because I was feeling lazy and there was some on offer in my local supermarket.





  • 340g tin of corned beef
  • 1 large onion
  • 2 small to medium sized potatoes
  • Short crust pastry (hoe made or shop bought is fine)
  • 250ml beef stock
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 egg (beaten for pastry glaze)





  • Fry onion until softened and then add finely diced potatoes and fry for around 10 minutes.
  • Cut the beef up into large chunks and add to potatoes and onions, season with a bit of Worcestershire sauce.
  • Add the stock and stir everything together (the beef is meant to crumble), bring to the boil and then simmer for around 20 minutes.
  • Heat oven to around 180-200 degrees and line your pie dish with pastry.
  • Hollywood says to let your mixture cool before pouring it inside the pastry but I added it warm and I don't think it made any difference. Cover filling with pastry lid and decorate as you wish. make sure to glaze pastry before placing in the oven for around 30 minutes.


I should probably take some time to mention to you that my pie is a bit patchy in my final picture because I attempted to glaze it with a fork....Proper utensils people- they're worth it! You are also meant to add a 'steam hole' to the pie before placing it in the oven, I actually ran out of pastry (as you will have probably guessed from the two big holes in the sides of the pie) so I didn't need to do this. Not to toot my own horn but this pie was one of the best savoury pastries that I have ever made. A bonus of it is that it can be eaten hot or cold so you can eat it on the go!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go oooooon tell me what you think :)