Healthy Cake?! Finally!
I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm one of those annoying people that talks about how they are going to start to eat healthier as the winter draws to a close. In my mind, I think- how can I not? I've spent the last few months hidden away under coats and jumpers, eating stodge and other winter treats (and bloody enjoying it I might add), but as the weather warms and the layers get thinner, I start to think perhaps a salad might not be such a bad thing... but it's still at the back of my mind. Then the summer holiday is booked and the inevitable bikini comes closer and I know that its definitely time to start eating fresh.
I genuinely try to keep my eye on what I eat all year around as I do like to at least get in three out of my five a day, just because I like to think that I'm filling my body with some good nutrients. I'm still a slave to chocolate and cake, in fact I'm typing these words having just nibbled (scoffed) on an early Easter egg- I'm only human after all. This is why I'm so happy to have come across Nic's blog. With posts on healthy cakes- this is a girl after my own heart. I was directed to her blueberry banana oat muffins by a close friend and I felt it my duty to share!
- 2 bananas (mashed)
- A small punnet of blueberries
- 250g oats (half of which should be blended into 'oat flour')
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 185ml milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Mix oats, oat flour, cinnamon and baking powder.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and then gently add in the blueberries taking care not to squash them.
- In a separate jug, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs and honey. Then fold it into the dry mixture, ensuring that everything is coated.
- Place in the oven for around 25 minutes. Ensuring that these were cooked was a little trickier than with normal cakes as you cant just go with colour. Nic says to use a tooth pick and if it comes out clean it's fine. I used a knife as I was without a toothpick and that still worked fine.