Monday 27 August 2012

Bakewell Tarts!

Sweet Treats make for Swell Feelings!

So after finally getting over this mornings hangover, I manned up,  ate junk food and spent the afternoon making amazing bakewell tarts with my flatmate. This is her recipe, so I wont bore you with a long winded story about how I climbed into the attic of my old house when I was a little girl only to be struck with a vision of my great great grandmother who passed on the recipe to make the perfect little bakewells. I'm not denying that this COULD have happened to my flatmate but I'm pretty sure that she just got the recipe from her mum.

To make 12 bakewell tarts,

You will need:

A sheet of Pastry (we used shortcrust)
100g Caster Sugar
1 egg
100g Crushed Almonds
100g Softened Butter
Jam of Your Choice (We used Apple& Black Current)
And some Icing Sugar to decorate.

We did originally use double the amount of ingredients but found ourselves with nearly 30 bakewell tarts. So unless you are using them for a party or like us, you have the fortune to be living with three men in their twenties happy to eat all the baked goods under the sun, I would just stick with the written list because these bad boys are better eaten fresh!

Method:


  • Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
  • Mix the Butter and the sugar together in a mixing bowl
  • Beat the egg and fold it into the mixture SLOWLY
  • Fold in the almonds
  • Roll the pastry to the thickness of a 20p coin and cut out 12 circles (about the perimeter of a drinking glass)
  • Grease a muffin tray with butter or oil (your choice!) and put the little pastry disks inside each hole
  • Add a Tbsp of jam to each disk and cover with the almond mixture
  • Place in oven for around 15 minutes or until tarts have risen and become golden brown in colour
  • Once they're cooled you can decorate them by adding a tsp of cold water to the icing sugar and icing them




This recipe sounds tricky- but that may be the way that I've written it out. In all honesty, they weren't that bad to make and they were so worth the effort because they tasted so good!

Cheers M'dears,


Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go oooooon tell me what you think :)