Anyway I digress, this week the thing that annoyed me most was the little bit of weight that I seem to have put on since leaving the gym (typical woman eh?!) and I vowed to cut down on high fat food and eat a lot of salad. Ofcourse the moment I solemnly told my boyfriend of this fact I had the biggest craving for quiche. QUICHE. One of the worst for fatty foods there could be! So I decided to make a quiche from scratch but make it 'low fat'.
A Shortcrust Pastry Base- I made one with Packet Mix!
Half a Bag of Spinach
4 Pieces of Bacon- Grilled with the fat trimmed off
1 Green Pepper
150ml Skimmed Fat free milk
A good portion of Low Fat Cheese
3 Eggs- Beaten
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Make base (If not already bought!) I blind baked mine for around 10-15 minutes before I added any ingredients just so that it wouldn't go soggy when filling was added
- Fry off peppers and mushrooms in a TEENY bit of oil and then add spinach for last 3 minutes so that it wilts
- Add the eggs and milk together, then add half of your cheese
- Put the veg and bacon in the base, then pour over egg mixture
- Sprinkle cheese over top
- bake for 30-40 minutes until you can poke a knife in it and it comes away clean
A lot of recipes say to just remove the pastry- that is not quiche. That is a frittata and I ain't in the mood for no frittata- thus I kept the pastry and used low fat ingredients instead. The beauty of this quiche is that a small portion will keep you going for hours without any accompanying sides. So that kind of works if you're cutting down right?!