Wednesday 2 October 2013

'Posh' Bread and Butter Pudding.

My Nan's recipe with a twist!



This week I finally have the chance to cheesily say that I've used one of my 'Grandmas own recipes' (Only I never call her Grandma, she will forever be known as nan or nanny). I made bread and butter pudding after getting the recipe from a student cookbook a while back with my boyfriend, it was my first experience with bread and butter pudding and I thought that it tasted fine but my boyfriend (who had eaten the dessert many times before) said that it wasn't quite right. I'd been craving bread and butter pudding in the last few weeks and felt that it was time to have another crack at it, only this time I asked my nan for her recipe and gave it a bit of a twist using chocolate chip brioche instead of bread. (Calorie counters beware this is a VERY indulgent dessert!)






  • 8-10 Chocolate chip brioche buns
  • 10 Oz semi skimmed milk
  • 5 Oz double cream
  • 4 Eggs
  • 3 Oz caster sugar
  • 2 snack packets of dried fruit of your choice (I used cranberries, raisins and sultanas). 
& Butter to grease dish and butter buns!






  • Grease an oven proof dish with butter and split the brioche buns in half.
  • Butter the buns and layer most of them in the dish nicely, keeping some back to add later.
  • Sprinkle the fruit over the brioche, making sure to get some between the layers.
  • Whip the milk, cream, eggs and sugar together and pour half the mixture over the brioche.
  • Add the remaining pieces of brioche over the bottom layer and pour over the remaining mixture (I tore mine up first so that I could dot them around a bit more).
  • Leave to soak for roughly 20- 30 minutes.
  • Place in oven on a low temp (150 degrees) for around 30 -45 minutes.
  • Serve warm (with cream if you're feeling REALLY indulgent!)


This amount serves 4-6 people so if you don't think you'll be able to handle lots of left overs simply halve the mixture. I was really happy with how this turned out and I had quite a lot of compliments on it, however I don't think I'd bake this more than once a month as I don't want to put on loads of weight haha!



This is my very definition of a 'Sunday dessert', what's yours?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Go oooooon tell me what you think :)