French it up yo...I have to admit this isn't a very student friendly meal as its quite expensive for one person to make but I really wanted to try it as I'd heard such great reviews. The taste of it afterwards was definitely worth it and you can over come the price by getting a few friends to chip in (i.e someone brings the wine, some one brings the meat etc). Another plus side of making this recipe is that you and your friends get to sit around drinking the left over wine while the food cooks!
What You'll Need:
- Diced Beef
- 1 large carrot- peeled and cubed
- 4/5 Cloves of garlic (depending on how strong you like it)
- 3 Shallots- peeled and sliced
- 8 Mushrooms- Chopped
- 100ml water
You'll need a Tbsp of tomato puree as well!
- Preheat oven to 160/180 degrees
- Fry off shallots, garlic, mushrooms, bacon and beef on a fairly high heat until the beef is brown.
- Add the herbs and carrot. Season as you wish.
- Pour in the wine and water and bring to the boil, then lower heat and add stock and tomato puree.
- Pour it all into a casserole dish and cover with somelid or some foil.
- place in oven for two and a half to three hours until beef is completely tender.
A tip that I'd give with this recipe is make it ahead of time so you dont have to wait three hours when you're hungry! As I said before this recipe can rack up quite a bill so make sure to share the love with your friends haha. I served this with sweet mash potatoes but I think any kind of potato will go with it. Putting it together is fairly easy though and once you smell it cooking you'll be chuffed you made it so why not give it a try?!